Raising Your Children in America
As Ahmadi Muslim parents of growing children in America, we keep thinking about how to protect our loving children from the ills of the society and how to lead them through this tough road of life in such a way that they become good Ahmadi Muslims who could lead a productive life serving their countries as well as Jama'at to the best of their abilities. Sometimes we become overprotective, and sometimes we let them loose, yet we rely on prayers all the time because at the end of the day, it is not us but Allah Who will keep them on the right path.
Promised Messiah (may peace be on him) once said, ‘I prayed for my children and require them to follow a broad set of rules of behavior and no more’.
In a sense, we all try to do this - pray and require our children to follow abroad set of rules. The variations occur in defining those broad set rules, especially living in a society with so many attractions and choices for our kids. In such situation, we should always rely on the guidance provided by our Khulafa.
Instructions from Khulafa
Moral Training of Children: Hazrat Musleh Maud (ra) has given a detailed set of guidelines on how to raise our children in his book Way of Seekers.
Children will Follow Parents: Excerpt from the Friday Sermon of Hazrat Khalifatul Massih V (aba) - December 13, 2013
Experiences and Tips of Fellow Ahmadi Parents
We also asked some Ahmadi parents to share their experiences in raising their children in America. Some of their stories and tips are listed below. Please note that these are individual opinions of Ahmadi parents and Majlis Ansarullah, USA does not necessarily endorse these opinions in entirety.
- How to overcome parenting challenges while living in America?
- How to develop habit of congregational Prayers in your children?
- How to build confidence in our children?
- How to develop in children the habit of writing to Huzoor?
- How to develop love of coming to the Mosque in our children?
- How to find time from your busy schedule to spend with our children?
- 'How to make children believe on power of prayers?
- How to teach your children the power of payer?
- Should parents allow their children to use cellphones?
- Is cell phone ok for kids? - a 10 years old perspective
- Should I allow my child to have Facebook account?
- Should I allow my children to visit social media?
- Should I allow my child sleep overs or overnight trips?
- Should you allow your children to go out on overnight trips?
- How to manage our anger before venting it at our family?
- Should a father talk to his daughter about purdah?
- When to start talking to your son about chastity and lowering of gaze?
- What changed my daughter’s mind about wearing Hijab?
- When to start talking to your children about marrying an Ahmadi Muslim?
Have your story to share
Engage in thoughtful Discussions
"Want to discuss your problems anonymously and engage in thoughtful discussions? Join our online forum by clicking here: http://forums.spiritualfitness.us